27 March 2010

An Hour of Darkness

Earth Hour is an annual event organized by WWF (World Wildlife Fund). It is held every last Saturday of March and that's actually today, March 27, 2010. Everyone is asked to turn-off non-essential lights and electrical appliances for an hour.  It is a step to raise awareness to take action on climate change brought about by global warming. Earth Hour 2010 will take place on March 27, 2010 from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., local time.  Do your part.
Hello Kitty Earth Hour
I try my best to do something for the environment even in my own little ways.  I even had plans before on taking up a Master’s Degree on Sanitary Engineering.  It is one of my favorite subjects back then in college.  The fact that it can be used to help the environment makes me want to learn more about it.  We took up waste water treatment, landfill facilities, ways to convert waste to energy, alternative and renewable energy.  But here I am, working for an Oil and Gas Company although we do have projects on alternative energy like solar and wind but still, I am more worried about the growing pollution in the world. I do want to be part of a project that would help the environment. 

Hello Kitty goes GreenEver heard of Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS)?  It is also something I'd like to be part of.  I really hate smoke. Sometimes, I couldn’t even breathe right and I get dizzy and feel nauseous.  The problem on air pollution and its effect on global warming is getting worse.  I could even see how dark the atmosphere has become.  It's like a thick line that distinguishes the polluted air.   CCS is a means to lessen the effects of global warming.  It involves trapping the carbon dioxide and transporting and isolating it in a storage location.  Imagine the possibility of having to reduce CO2 emissions in the atmosphere by 80%-90%.  It would really be a great help to the environment.
N-Viro I also came across this site, N-Viro.  They treat, pasteurize, immobilize and convert wastewater sludge and other bio-organic wastes into bio-mineral agricultural and soil-enrichment products. It reminded me of my subject on Sanitary Engineering before.  We used to talk about sludge, wastewater, treatment, sewage.  I know they seem foul and dirty but they can be actually treated and converted into something that can be used to enrich soil.
Converting something we consider as waste or trash into something useful and beneficial is something I'd like to accomplish someday.
Related Videos:





1 comment: